Friday, November 18, 2011

A Bit About Me

I'm fifteen.
I live in Alaska.
I'm Homeschooled.
Going to home school is normal to me.  It also means things that are normal to everyone else, seem foreign.  When I'm reading a book and it talks about the bell ringing and the crowded hallways and the slamming lockers, I can't relate.  I base the picture in my head off of the movies I've seen.  In some ways it seems strange that something so normal, feels so mysterious.  
In some ways I feel trapped.  I don't get out of the house much, and when I do it's for 1 1/2 to 2 hours on a school night.  The inside of my house is so familiar to me, more familiar than anywhere.  The view outside the window changes gradually with the seasons.  Cars drive by.  The same middle school kids tramp through the snow in -20 weather to get to and from school.  
Don't get me wrong, I love being homeschooled.  I love being able to talk things through with my family, and to read all the books I want and have the freedom in the middle of the day to pull out a project during a half hour break.  
I just can't help but wonder what other lives would be like.  I think that is probably normal, though.  Everyone wonders what it would be like to be someone else.  I think what it'd be like to live in the lower 48 on a farm where I'd get up at the crack of dawn to milk the cows and collect the eggs.  Or what it would be like to live in another continent, with a different language or accent, lifestyle and government.  
The closest I can get to another life is books.  There are books on basically every topic.  What would I do without books?
Some more things about myself are:
I make yarn dolls.
I like painting, even though I'm not very good.
I want to travel almost more than anything else.

I hope you don't mind my ranting.  Please feel free to follow my blog and ask me any questions.
With love,
AmyGrace

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I know I left you a comment already but I needed to leave one again.

    I'm about to turn 15 and I'm homeschooled too. I can totally relate to this. It can get hard sometimes...*sigh* I don't really want to go to public school but I don't always like being home all the time either.
    It's weird isn't it?

    Anyhow, sorry I'm ranting. I was just so excited when I found someone who knows exactly how I feel...

    ReplyDelete